Friday, March 6, 2009

God adopted me!

The longer we walk down this road of adoption, the more and more we understand our own adoption into God's family. It really truly is the road of GRACE. I see so many parallels...

We CHOSE our little girl. We didn't choose her because she was "good" and not because she did great things. We didn't ask her to perform some great feat before we'd consider adopting her. Instead, we chose her because of our unconditional love for her. God chose to adopt me...not because of the good things I've done...but because of His unconditional love and grace. In fact, if being "good" were a qualifier for Heaven, I'd be OUT. But, because of God's grace, He chose me as His own.

Right now, in the orphanage, Grace owns nothing of her own. She shares clothes, toys and caregivers. But when we walk into that orphanage, pick her up and take her into our arms (and our family), she will become a Gamble. Everything we have will be hers too...not because she "earned" it but because we graciously give it to her because of OUR love for her. When God adopted me, I was a living in a pit. He reached down in His love and grace and picked me up (mix-matched clothes and dirty face and all!). All He had became mine...I have endless access to His love, His provision, His protection. I am His CHILD! With God as my Daddy, what could I possibly fear?

Adopting our new daughter comes at a great cost. As we near the final stretch in our wait to adopt her, we have a mounting pile of fees that we need to pay. The price is very high. But when people comment on how expensive adoption is, I can't help but think, "But not nearly as costly as my own adoption was." When God adopted me, He did it through the sacrifice of His only Son. Now, THAT is an expensive adoption! But LOVE will go to great lengths. How GREAT God's love is for me to adopt me at such an enormous price!

I pray that our adoption of Grace reflects with intensity the glorious way God invites each of us to be adopted by Him. All we need to do is believe, and God's grace and love do the rest.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life."